Saturday, January 22, 2011

Beans, Beans, Beans

We had a wonderful bean class in January for our evening Relief Society Meeting.  I will share recipes as I try them, but I did learn one thing that I think will change my attitude about using dry beans.  I am terrible about pre-planning meals, especially a whole 24 hours in advance, so I never plan far enough in advance to rinse and cook dry beans.  Did you know that you could cook up a bunch of beans and then freeze them in baggies?  Then, when you want to add them to a recipe, you just pull the amount you need out of the freezer.  Also, freezing softens the beans even more, so if you have old beans that are having trouble softening them up, pop them in the freezer after you cook them.

The last time I cooked a batch of beans, I soaked them overnight, then I rinsed them about 8 times.  Then I cooked them until soft, and rinsed them well again.  The rinsing seemed to help how they affected my family's tummies.

I can't wait to try some new recipes, or make some up on my own!!

No comments: