Thursday, November 13, 2008

My First Experience with White Wheat

My husband is allergic to red wheat. He has adverse stomach reactions every time he eats it. He can eat store bought whole wheat bread, but when I use my food storage wheat in homemade bread, pancakes, cookies, etc., he gets sick. So I bought a 5 gallon bucket of white wheat from a contact through our ward. The first thing I did with it was to try out a recipe I found in a self-reliance handout. I put one part wheat to four parts water, (1/3 cup per two adults, but I cooked extra)in my crock pot and let it cook on low overnight. It was the consistency of pearled barley. We ate it for breakfast with brown sugar and milk. I liked it, and my family ate it. My kids love hot ceral. I had a big bowl of leftovers, which I added to my crock pot again with the soup mix from the cannery, some dehydrated carrots from the cannery, beef boulion, hamburger and fresh garlic (cooked). We had a great beef soup for dinner. The starch from the wheat thickened the soup almost to a stew consistency, very hearty. My friends told me I was supposed to crack the wheat in a blender, and it cooks up like cream of wheat. I want to try this, once I get a blender that won't explode when I try to crack wheat in it. I'm glad I tried it this way, though. It's good to know that I can cook my gallons of wheat in a way that my family will eat it, even if I don't have electricity to crack it with.

The best part? It didn't make Adam sick! Now I get to replace all of my red wheat with white wheat, and I know he can eat it.

No comments: