Friday, November 14, 2008

My 2008 Chirstmas List

I have a more no-nonsense sense of gift giving this year. It seems like time is speeding up, and life is happening so quickly. There isn't any room for frivolity, and I really feel the need to get back to basics. I think it will be good for my kids to have a simple Christmas. I take inspiration from Adam's grandparents. There have been years when our gift from them would be a case of canned peaches or pears. A gift was never more appreciated or received with such love. There was no doubt in our minds of their concern for our happiness. Isn't that the purpose of gift giving?

Now, Santa will still come to our house, of course. But our four kids may just get pajamas, shoes, and flashlights from mom and dad. When thinking about what others might get for me, I thought I would put together a wish list of things I've been wanting to acquire for my homemaking or preparedness needs. Here it is:

Kitchenaid mixer
Heavy duty blender
Victoria Strainer (for canning applesauce and tomatoes)
Handheld Wheat Grinder
4 more zero degree sleeping bags (we have 2)
Flashlights
Shortwave Radio, crank operated
Any Food Storage Items
Big blue water barrels

This is my list so far, I'm sure it will change as I learn. My plan is to work toward acquiring these things gradually based on need. But to have a list of things I really need rather than receiving jewelry or purses (which I love) may help for those who love me to know what I would like the most for Christmas. This is where my heart is right now, in my desire to make my family prepared. What's on your Christmas list? Have you thought about giving gifts that will help your loved ones to be prepared?

No comments: