Friday, November 21, 2008

Save Your Blankets



I cleaned out my blanket closet today. I pulled them all out, folded them up neatly and put them all back. I realized that I haven't ever gotten rid of a blanket. I have the comforter we had when we first got married 15 years ago. I have Calvin's Toy Story comforter. I have the blanket our leather furniture was wrapped in when we bought it from my aunt. Each of my children have blankets that were given to our family when they came to us, most hand made. I even have the blanket that was left in our house when we bought it. I know, weird. Each has memories for us, and they're so useful.

In times of winter, and with the possibility of power outages, blankets become invaluable. If your power goes out, it is recommended that you find a central room that you can close off and huddle together as a family. You can line your walls with blankets to help insulate the room, and use your blankets to bundle up. What you don't use personally, you can share with your neighbors.

If you don't have a closet to store your blankets, you can store them in plastic bags under your bed. Save the zippered bags that your comforters and pillows come in when you buy them, and stack them in the tops of your closets. My sister uses those vacuum sealed storage bags, they take up so much less space. I have an old trunk at the foot of my bed that is great for blanket storage too. If your stockpile of blankets is low, you can look at second-hand stores. Sometimes you can get better deals on clearance items at stores like Shopko and Walmart than you can in thrift stores. Of course you can make blankets. You can often find great sales on fabric also, but there is probably a wealth of unused fabric and quilt-making talent in your family, neighbors and ward, all waiting to be made into blankets.

So if you stay at my house and you get a well-loved blanket, don't be surprised. We love them well and wear them out, but they will always be clean!

No comments: